We did something last Sunday for the first time. We sent Makayla to an entire week away at Girl Scout Camp. She went to church camp last summer but it is only three nights with a family night on one night, plus that is my church family so I knew she was in good hands. This was totally different! This was an entire week, Sunday thru Friday with no phone access and camp counselors I did not know. All last Sunday I must have gone over everything with her a million times, mind your manners, brush your teeth, be kind, don't wear your pj's during the day, brush your hair, show others your a Christian. James kept stressing to drink lots of water and wear your sunscreen.I showed her over and over again where we packed everything in hopes she would remember.
The time finally came for us to drop her off. She was so giggly and excited! We checked in and felt good about the process. We drove down to her cabin and she saw a friend from her troop so from that point on we were invisible. I started to unpack and found out I forgot to pack towels and washcloths, so that led us to a quick trip to the nearest store and back again. When we got back her cabin was full and they were already giggling and on the road to becoming life long friends. So with a sigh, we hugged and said good-bye.
It was a long week for me! We were able to write her an email every night that they printed and gave her at mail time every morning. We were even able to view pictures that the camp uploaded onto a site. The first day we saw a picture of her riding a horse with shorts on!!! Granted, I packed her boots and jeans. I think it was God's way of telling me not to worry over things you cannot control. I prayed alot this week! The boys even missed her and asked about her. I often wondered what she doing, eating etc.
Along came Friday and I had survived the week! Pick up time was between 4 and 5 but you can believe we were there at 3:55! She came running out in nothing but a swimsuit and tennis shoes! She even came back home with her retainer! Thank goodness. She talked all the way home about new friends, swimming, horse riding, cook outs and she has sang every camp song she learned over and over again!She had the time of her life! She is already looking forward to next year!
I suppose as a Mom these are the things that growing pains are made of and the things that make us stronger. As a girl, these are the things life long memories are made of.
All in all it was a great week and she is home and safe and still giggling!!
Thank you God for my blessings!
Sounds like she had a blast! What faith you have! I'm not sure if I could send Braden off to camp for a week like that!
ReplyDelete