Sunday, February 17, 2013

The Lis Family 5 will be 6!



 I will not leave you orphans; I will come to you.

John 14:18  NKJV
 
This verse has rang in my head over and over again for months. This journey started out as nothing more than reading a verse or hearing one at church. Have you ever heard the same thing over and over again and thought, "OK, God I am listening! I hear you!" That was us!
 
James read this verse first, " Pure and undefiled religion before God and the Father is this: to visit orphans and widows in their trouble, and to keep oneself unspotted from the world." James 1:27 After he read it, it sparked a conversation between us and opened a hole in our hearts we thought we had closed.
 
Back story: in 2010, we started the adoption process with a local agency and got almost to the end and that agency closed it's adoption division. We were upset
and at the time felt like God closed that door for his own reasons and we let it be. Until, a few months ago when God seemed to start pushing us through the adoption process again. 
 
We have always wanted a big family and after prayer and conversation we decided to add a precious addition to our family by adoption!!!
 
We have begun the process with Buckner International.
You can find their website here http://www.beafamily.org/about.shtml.
Some statistics we have found on domestic adoption are:
More than 6,000 abused and neglected children in Texas are awaiting adoption and about 60 percent of them are age 6 or older. The older the child, the longer they tend to wait for adoption.
 
In 2011, there were 13, 481 children in Texas alone waiting to be adopted.
 
Those numbers haunt me!
 
There are alot of choices out there for adoption including international, domestic, foster to adopt and infant.
 
James and I felt sure of our choice from the start and felt God was calling us to this program. It is called Texas Waiting Children. The description of Texas Waiting Children is Adopting a child who has been removed from their home because of challenging life situations. At any given time, there are children available for adoption through the Texas Department of Family and Protective Services. These children have lived in traditional foster homes or residential programs, and for any number of reasons their parents’ rights have been terminated.
 
We have requested a girl ages 2-4 with no racial preference. We are so excited that our family is growing and I have heard, Adoption is the new pregnancy and we are eagerly awaiting our new addition.  I saw this on Valentine's Day and I love it!
We are still early on our journey but excited and blessed that God has trusted us enough to call us down this road. We can't wait to share our journey with you!


2 comments:

  1. How exciting! I will be praying for you guys as you journey through this process and for the sweet angel that awaits you! ;)

    ReplyDelete