Monday, May 5, 2014

Dad: day 15 in ICU

Today is day number 15 in ICU but yesterday he came off the ventilator completely and they pulled the tube! 
  The VA gave us the chose last Thursday to stay there and get a trach that day or move to a long term hospital that specializes in weaning them off the vent. So James, my mom and I went and toured the hospital and we were very impressed. He was transferred here around 9pm Thursday night. It was the best move for him. Four days later he was completely off the vent, no trach or feeding tube needed!
   His vitals look amazing! He is still on oxygen and will be for a while. Today he has followed the doctors commands and is asking for water! The next order of business is to get him working with physical, occupational and speech therapy. He will have a lot of rehab to gain his strength back and try to get back to his quality of life that he had previous to this incident. He will remain in ICU a few more days and will then move to the floor. 
   Prayerfully he will be back in his home in the next few weeks! We have come such a long way in 15 days, they were long tearful, stressful days, days when I prayed I would not have to make a choice on his life. I am so thankful to God for giving me another chance and more time with my dad. I am thankful that for now God answered my prayer and I didn't have to decide how he would live out his life, God has chosen to leave him here with us for a while longer.
  I am thankful that even though it wasn't under the best circumstances I was able to spend a weekend with my "little" brothers.
We are so thankful my mom stayed for 8 days and helped with our kids, did laundry, made lunches and drove carpool! 
  We have been so blessed by the many phone calls, texts and prayers lifted on my dad's behalf. We have been blessed with a weeks worth of meals from our church family that have blessed us so. It's so nice to come home from the hospital to a hot meal. Have I mentioned how blessed we are?! 
  Please continue to pray for my dad, he has crossed the biggest hurdle but he still has a long recovery and a lot of work to do.


No comments:

Post a Comment