Monday, May 19, 2014

My dad: day 30 in ICU

When I wrote my last post on my dad, I really didn't think that 2 weeks later we would still be in ICU but alas, here we are.
   He is still doing well medically, he has done amazing off the vent and no longer even needs oxygen support. He has also come off all IV medication and they are maintaining his blood sugars. His lab work has looked good every day. 
  He is still under ICU care because he has some dementia and has had some out of character behavior because of it. They did a CT on his brain last Monday and it did not show any new events only the precious strokes we were already aware of. In ICU they are able to give him one on one care and he even has a 24 hour beside CNA. 
   In the last few days his mind seems to have cleared a little bit and he has been walking with therapy more and more and has been able to leave his room to go
outside. He continues to work with occupational therapy and with speech therapy on swallowing and eating solid foods. 
   Some days I am discouraged and I have to remind myself that no matter how small, progress is progress. He is still alive and here with us, and right now that is all that matters. The kids have really been missing him and since they are not allowed in ICU they put my dad up to the window and let us peak in!

  Sadly, his current nursing home only holds their beds for 30 days so tomorrow I have the daunting task of moving him out of the home he has known for the last 6 years. This is devastating to us!
 Our prayer is that once he is able to move back to a nursing home, he will be able to return to his current home if they have an available bed or our plan B, is the state veterans home. James and I really like it and thankfully put my dad on the waiting list two weeks ago, just in case. 
   We continue to be blessed with prayers and so much support and for that we will be forever grateful.

No comments:

Post a Comment