For those of you that follow me or Allison on Facebook you see the pictures I post of martial arts. What those pictures don't show are the hours I spend away from my Wife and kids training with my Extreme martial arts family. I have been doing martial arts since I was a little kid and continued to practice in some way shape or form since then. This winter I was asked my Sensei and Head instructor if i would test for my second degree black belt in EMA. EMA is a form of martial arts that combines all aspects of self defense and different martial arts. In a way its like MMA without all the continuous blows to head and cutting weight(lol). There are not very many people outside of the staff at Extreme martial arts who posses a 2nd degree black under professor Ty Garrett.
These two people are both amazing individuals and martial artist whom i look up to greatly. This year stepped away from martial arts for almost six months. I was angry and lost focus on what it means to be a true martial artist. I spoke with Professor Garrett for over an hour and he listened to me and talked with me not as my sensei but as a friend and after that talk and some soul searching I walked back on to the mat with a whole new outlook. when you see a martial arts instructor like Ty and Colin what you don't see are the times they spent talking to kids about their grades and about treating their siblings nicely. They care about all people who are under their roof which is a rare quality.
Martial Arts has made me a better person and continues to improve me Physically and mentally. There is a person right now who will not be named but is walking and talking fine because martial arts has given me the humility and patienence to deal people who pose no threat but like to run their mouth.


No comments:
Post a Comment